Turkmenistan Culture Tour 4N/5D
Shawat-Kunya Urgench-Derweze-Ashgabat-Mary-Gonurdepe-Mary-Ancient Merv-Turkmenabat-Farap
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeCultural Tours
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
With Silk Road Travellers, discover the Turkmenistan Culture Tour. We offer a range of Turkmenistan Culture Tour that take you through the varied culture, religion, architecture, train tour, customs and tradition of various Central Asia Country and states.
By far the most mysterious and unexplored of Central Asia’s ‘stans, Turkmenistan became famous for the truly bizarre dictatorship of Saparmyrat Niyazov, who ruled as ‘Turkmenbashi’ (‘leader of the Turkmen’) until his death in 2006. Niyazov covered this little-known desert republic with golden statues of himself and grandiose monuments to the achievements of his ‘golden age’. But the least-visited of Central Asia’s countries is far more than the totalitarian theme park it’s often portrayed as being – it is an ancient land of great spirituality, tradition and natural beauty.
The ancient cities of Merv and Konye-Urgench inspire visions of caravans plodding along the ancient Silk Road, while the haunting beauty of the Karakum Desert and other quirky natural phenomena are less expected but equally mesmerising. The full Turkmen experience is ultimately about mingling with the warm and fascinating Turkmen people themselves, whose hospitality is the stuff of legend.
- Visa support (Letter of Invitation, State Registration, Travel Pass)
- Road transport in private air-conditioned vehicles, mini buses, regular or SUV/4WD as per table (pls. see table below for seating capacity)
- Accommodation based on shared double hotel room, including breakfast
- English-guide-interpreter services
- Picnic lunch in Darwaza
- Entrance fees to sites mentioned in the program
- Meals B/L/D
- Domestic flight Ashgabat-Mary
- Bottled water 1,5 ltr pppd
- Turkmenistan tourist visa from 55+2 USD per person, when obtained at land borders (subject to change; nationality dependent)
- Turkmenistan migration tax 10+2 USD per person, to be paid at land borders (subject to change)
- Photo/video fees at historical sites and museums
- Tips for local guide(s) and/or driver(s)
- Souvenirs and other personal items
- All other charges and services not mentioned under “Included”
- Carpet Museum is closed on Saturday afternoons and Sundays
- National Museum is closed on Tuesdays
- Weekend Bazaar (aka Tolkuchka or Altyn Asyr Gundogar Bazaar) is best visited on Sundays, when there is an additional livestock section. On Mondays-Wednesdays and Fridays this bazaar is closed, but other city bazaars are open (no photography permitted)
Shawat-Kunya Urgench-Darweze (230 km)
Transfer to Uzbekistan-Turkmenistan border point . Proceed to customs and passport control on both sides. After passing Turkmenistan border post meet Turkmenistan guide. Drive to Kunya Urgench 110 km (UNESKO 2005) ancient capital of Khorezm. Visit mausoleums of Il Arslan and Soltan Tekesh, Nejmeddin Kubra, Soltan Ali, Turabek-Khanum(12th c), minaret of Kutlug Timur, MamunII. Lunch . Drive to Gas Crater (268km) dubbed by locals as The Door to Hell. En-route we cross Karakum desert, will make a stop at small nomad village and in the evening watch the spectacular and fascinating view of the gas crater. Dinner at Gas Crater. Overnight in a tent.
Darweze-Ashgabat (260 km)
Breakfast picnic style. After continue to Ashgabat. Drive to Gokdepe fortress and horse farm. Gokdepe fortress that was attacked in December 1880 by Russians under General Mikhail Skobelev. The siege of Gokdepe lasted twenty-three days, after which the city was taken by storm. Gokdepe Mosque was built to commemorate the defeat and is noted for its mint-turquoise blue colored roof and white marble structure. Also you will visit Gokdepe museum that dedicated to the war. At the horse farm you can see proud of
Turkmen national Akhalteke horses. Over the 30 beautiful horses, you can see at the horse farm. 5000 years ago, Turkmens begin breed Akhalteke horses. Unique breed on the world that not mixed with other breeds. Different rulers as Alexander Great, Darius I wants to own this horses. Lunch. After visiting archeological site “Old Nisa”- Parthian period.
Visiting National museum. After come back to the Hotel. Traditional restaurant dinner. Overnight in Hotel.
Ashgabat-Mary-Gonurdepe-Mary (450 km)
Morning flight to Mary (T5-127, 07:00-07:40). Drive to Gonur depe (90km). Driving off-road for what seems several hours and leaving clouds of dust behind, your car climbs a hill from where you can see excavations into the ancient country Margush. The Margiana country occupied an area of more than 3000 sq. Km and consisted of 78 oasis and more than 150 compact settlements. The American newspaper ”Boston Globe” wrote that before we knew the four oldest centers of the world’s civilization: Mesopotamia, Egypt, India and China, and now due to the fantastic results of the Margiana expedition it’s quite possible to think that there was another, the fifth center.
Lunch box at the sight. Drive back to Mary city. Overnight in Hotel.
Mary-Ancient Merv-Turkmenabad (280 km)
Breakfast in the hotel. After visiting “Ancient Merv”: visit Gyz Gala& Oglan Gala, Complex of Askhabs, Gyaur Gala, Erk Gala, Sotla Gala, Sotlan Sanjar Mausoleum etc.Lunch. After continue to the Turkmenabad city. Arrive Turkmenabad city.
Traditional restaurant dinner. Overnight in Hotel.
Turkmenabat-Farap (40 km)
After breakfast transfer to border post Farap.